Thursday 12 May 2011

Kevin Mayor, highly acclaimed award winning writer

For the month of May we have Kevin and Ann Major staying in 'Annie's House'.

Learning Kevin is an award winning writer I got 'googling' and soon discovered his great passion for wine, and not only that! Kevin's fabulous wine blog; One Brilliant Bottle.

If this coincidence wasn't enough I couldn't believe it when Kevin mentioned my post on Domaine Singla, whose wines he and Ann have much interest in and had missed sampling the last time they were in the south of France.

Interest in Domaine Singla is equally shared in la famille Beaumont household and needless to say, it was a great pleasure for Gérald to introduce his great friend, Laurent de Besombes wines; Passe Temps and El Moli to Kevin and Ann, these wines are perfection.

Read about Kevin and Ann's exceptional wine finds during their stay in the Loire Valley by visiting : One Brilliant Bottle.

The Who
I’m Newfoundland & Labrador author Kevin Major. I’ve written fifteen books, including “No Man’s Land”, “As Near to Heaven by Sea”, and ”Hold Fast.” And plays, most recently “Lead Me Home.” The most recent novel, titled “New Under the Sun”, was released in 2010.

Nothing about wine, however.

For a good part of my life my wine purchases were based on: a. the price ($10-$15, depending on the decade) and/or b. the label (whether it was eye-catching, preferably with a gold sticker from some competition).
It was Hemingway who wrote, “Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world.” Somehow that line had escaped me.

For years I skirted the world of exceptional wine, intimidated, ambivalent. But now, though late to the oasis, I’ve plunged feet first into it, reading as much as I can, and tasting as much as my pocketbook will allow. I’m feeling more confident.

I’ve taken a particular interest in organic, biodynamic, and natural wines. My original goal was to search out and experience One Brilliant Bottle a week, each week for the first year of the new decade, 2010. That accomplished, I’ve extended the project into 2011. It’s been too much of a treat to stop!

No comments: